Monday, December 29, 2008

Mission: La Alhambra

So the big thing to do in Grenada is visit La Alhambra. And when I say big I mean BIG. It's a 1300 year old Moorish temple/fortress/palace built on the hills above the fertile plain of Grenada. However, entry can be tricky. Because of the age and delicacy of the complex, only 8100 people are allowed to visit on any given day. We tried to book tickets from Madrid, but all the reservations were full. This meant fighting it out with the other tourists for the remaining spots reserved for day-of purchasers. Gianna, not to be outdone, and wishing to have her name entered into La Alhambra lore, woke up at 5:30 in the morning and treked up the side of a mountain to claim her prize. I don't even know my own name at 5:30 in the morning, much less could I navigate my way up a hillside that foiled many a crusader. Nope. I went at 8:45 and got afternoon tickets.

Inside the complex there are about 43 thousand things to see, but I have a few favorites:

On top of the fortress tower you have an unobstructed view of about 25 to 40 kilometers (that's right, I've gone metric, I'm in Europe) in just about any direction. You would know about an invading force DAYS before it arrived. No wonder Grenada was the last Moor stonghold to fall.

The gardens are stunning, even in winter, and there are mini-aqueducts running along most of the stairs, ramps, and walkways.

Symmetry is evident everywhere, and normally you would things this would make things stale, but somehow the Moors pulled it off. Lots of pictures next week.

Ok, I'm done for now, time to enjoy my Sangria.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Dolores and Uncles Bob and Sal were here past two days. We made Bunuelos! Lot of fun. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. God bless you both and guide you safely with Angels at your side..Dad

Crazy May Days said...

Sounds amazing Raul!!! I can't wait to see all your pictures and digitally add myself to them. We are off to live in your home tomorrow. I am sad that you won't be there - well not too sad... you are in Spain after all. I think that I would like to change my emotion please. I am not sad. I am jealous. Happy travels! We are all enjoying keeping up with the adventures abroad!