Sunday, November 30, 2008

Driving down I-35

Today, as I was making my way through countless trucks, trailers, and minivans, I reflected on the many times I have traveled this unique stretch of road between Dallas and San Antonio. When I was growing up, we used to make a couple of trips every year to see family in San Antonio - usually for Christmas or Thanksgiving. As a kid, I used to look out the window for the four hours it took to get from Ennis, Texas to San Antonio and I would just think about everything. About why the wires sagged between the telephone poles. About why the exit signs were green and not blue. About why the road was two lanes sometimes, and 3 other times. I used to look at buildings and wonder what went on inside of them. I would enjoy the stretches of prairie grass and open sky. You can see clouds for miles. You can see where it is raining and where it is sunny. If you are lucky you'll catch a rainbow or one of those times where the sun breaks through the clouds and it looks like heaven has a spot light pointed at the earth.

Today, as I was making my way back to Austin, I listened to the road and it sounded like such a familiar friend. At this point, its like a long commute that I've been doing for 27 years. I don't even pay attention to the signs any more. Mesquite, Desoto, Hillsborough, Waco, Temple, Austin. When I would drive to Duke every year, it was a time for me to reflect. Two days on the open road and twenty hours behind the wheel gave me a chance to find where I was in my journey. I would think about friends, contemplate the choices ahead, and dream about future possibilities. I have to say that recently - unlike then - one topic seems to dominate my thoughts. Because of this, I have dreaded long drives lately. But this Thanksgiving was different. I was able to really think about the future. I was able to recognize new goals, new dreams, new opportunities. I don't feel like I am running from my pain anymore. For me, it just takes a couple hundred miles of asphalt to take that single step.

No comments: