Saturday, November 15, 2008

Agree to Disagree

I've been struggling with my sense of the world lately. In some ways I feel like I have lost my compass to getting through life. Everyone says that things like this divorce are a life lesson. That you need to learn from it and move on. What do you learn though? Was I young and naive? Was I being silly to think that my marriage would work, when so many others have failed? Occasionally, life bites you in the butt and you see the inexperience and misconceptions you had been operating under. When I was a kid, I found out that life isn't always fair. When I was in high school I learned that not everyone wants to be your friend. When I was in college, I discovered that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.

Now, I am hearing a lot of things that just don't seem to agree with my old views and choices. Am I supposed to stick with what I have been doing or is it time to wake up? Is it time to rip the proverbial beard off of Santa Claus? Was I too idealistic in my hopes and dreams? Are we simply not meant to be with one person our whole life? Is marriage just too much to ask of people?

I used to know my answers to all of these questions. But I find myself really revisiting them in depth. Right now I can't say that I know for sure. I know I still have hope that someone could come along and stick it out through the good and the bad. But I am trying to find out where I was naive and where I was on the right track.

This whole experience is a journey and it can get messy.

1 comment: